Pulau Perenthians, Malaysia

This is the last entry in our Malaysia blog series. To read from the start of our Malaysia travel journal, click here

As the last stop of our 17-month adventure, Perenthian Islands were an emotional, bittersweet ending to the best 1.5 years of our lives. Idyllic and easygoing, the islands are an easy place to wile away the days, and our 10 days here drifted by at a dreamy pace, filled with beautiful clear turquoise sea, soft white sand, jungle trekking, diving, and LOTS of eating.


We stayed at Maya’s – a chilled collection of bungalows on the beach, run by friendly hippy Zani, and we split our time between a beach-front bungalow and, when that was booked, a room in the main building of the hostel. It was a really great place, with Zani generously offering up coconuts and papayas to all the guests (or whatever else he was growing!), as well as perks like free coffee, a big communal area with hammocks and an all-round sunny relaxed disposition.


We allowed several days to drift by as we swung in hammocks, read books on our porch, took regular dips into the clear warm sea, and walked 10 minutes up the beach to our favourite restaurant, Ewan’s, where we’d gorge on delicious curry noodle soups, fresh fruits, calamari and chips (amongst other indulgences!). We slowed ourselves down, truly appreciating every hour, drinking in the beauty of the surroundings, and enjoying our beach-front location, free to run into the sea just moments from our hut.


After a few days of relaxation, we got a bit more active and did a couple of dives for a bargain £13 each – including our first wreck dive! The first site, Temple, was hyped as the best site in the area, but we weren’t all that impressed, aside from seeing some moray eels and triggerfish, it was pretty murky and the coral was almost entirely dead! We felt grateful for our recent diving in Indonesia and the Philippines as we’d seen so many better sites!

The second site however, was pretty impressive. Sugar Wreck is a sugar cargo boat from the ’90s, so it’s largely intact which makes it a cool wreck to dive – you can see almost everything, from the propeller on the back to the walkway rails, to the windows. There was some cool marinelife calling the wreck its home, like a family of lionfish living on the propeller at the back, and a pufferfish inside one of the windows!

Technically we weren’t allowed to penetrate the wreck (as we only have Open Water, not Advanced certificates) but Sam and I ended up being the last divers down (our breathing had greatly improved over our 20 dives) so the divemaster sneakily allowed us to swim inside at the most open end of the wreck, which was pretty thrilling! We took it in turns swimming through gaps, to make sure we didn’t knock our air. From this point onwards I’ve been a bit obsessed with finding another wreck to dive. It was also pretty emotional as I knew it was to be our last wreck, so towards the end I was feeling pretty sad about it all and trying to take every last detail of every last fish into my memory!

We also spent an active afternoon trekking around the island, on a jungle path that goes all around its circumference. Between Maya’s, on Coral Bay, we walked through dense jungle teaming with big monitor lizards, through almost deserted beaches with attached campsites, or small bungalow resorts, to the ‘Fisherman’s Village’ – the closest to a normal town you can find on the smaller of the Perenthian Islands, Perenthian Kecil. The village was fun, and we stopped for some lunch and kopi, watching local kids and families playing on the little beach there, and got our fill of food at more regular prices than back on touristy Coral Bay.

img_9874 img_9877

The walk was boiling hot and sweaty, so on the way back, despite not having my bikini, we went for a swim in the sea at several of the deserted beaches. It was great being on some less busy beaches as Coral Bay was a bit congested with boats, and we liked it so much we went back to one of the beaches – Rainforest Beach – for a Robinson Crusoe-like last day on the islands, and had the beach to ourselves!

img_9873 img_9881


Another day we took a half-day snorkelling tour, which was ok but not brilliant. We stopped to see turtles but there were so many boats the poor turtles were getting completely harassed by tourists, who had unfortunately not been educated about any ground-rules for snorkelling, like not putting your fins on the coral and remaining a respectable distance from the wildlife!

We went to some nice sites and saw some cool fish, but the coral had been seriously broken by fins which was sad, and I ended up losing my shit a bit with a tour guide who was encouring a group of kids to actively stand on the coral. Not cool! On our last stop we saw some black-tip sharks swimming around not too far below us which was nice, but the current was really strong so it made for big waves and a slightly stressful snorkel. The next day we actually saw some baby black-tip sharks swimming just in Coral Bay to the West side, which was pretty exciting! One of our mates reported seeing one bigger than him, but I was too scared to go and see for myself.

Whilst we had some amazing sunny days in Perenthians, we also had some crazy tropical storms which were pretty thrilling! On some nights, the storm almost ripped off the corrugated iron hut roofs at Maya’s, and it totally destroyed all the tents where people were camping! One night the flooding was so bad we had to bag up all our stuff, unplug the electricals and prop our bed up against the wall so it didn’t get saturated! The drama and tropical vibe of the storms was pretty exciting, and we ended up just walking out in it without shoes, to get to Ewan’s for dinner! It felt amazing being out with the big fork lightning and nothing to hold us back from just running around in it!


After an amazing relaxing week, we managed to tear ourselves away from the islands just in time for one last night in KL before embarking on the journey home. Apprehensive, excited, sad, thrilled, scared and joyous in equal measure, we started on the (surprisingly short!) 16 hour flight home, where we’d rejoin our friends and family in our ‘normal lives’ in London…!